Why Spay and Neuter?
Many people are surprised to learn that nationwide more than 3 million cats and dogs are euthanized in shelters. You might think that these are animals born in the streets or there is something "wrong" with them. But often they are the offspring of cherished family pets, even purebreds. Maybe someone's dog or cat got out just that one time or maybe the litter was intentional, but efforts to find enough good homes failed.
BENEFITS OF SPAYING AND NEUTERING:
Statistics show that for every one human born, four dogs and four cats are born. As long as these birth rates exist, there will never be enough homes for all the animals, and pets will be euthanized every day throughout the world.
At Pets Without Parents, all pets are spayed or neutered before going to his or her new home.
Here are some helpful links regarding spay / neuter:
- WHY SHOULD YOU SPAY OR NEUTER YOUR PET?
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SPAYING AND NEUTERING. Nice brochure put out by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
LOW COST SPAY/NEUTER OPTIONS
- RASCAL ANIMAL HOSPITAL. Rascal Animal Hospital in Dublin offers some low cost spay/neuter options, and has even further reduced costs for families on a fixed income.
- COLUMBUS DOG CONNECTION. Columbus Dog Connection offers a mobile service called "The Andy" that will come out to rural counties to perform spay/neuter services, all at a low cost.
- SHELTER OUTREACH SERVICES OF OHIO. SOS of Ohio Spay and Neuter Clinic, also known as Shelter Outreach Services of Ohio, focuses on the low cost spay and neuter of feral and owned cats, dogs and rabbits.
- SPAY USA - OHIO. Can search for low cost spay/ neuter options by zip code
- CITY KITTY PROGRAM. Through this program, Pet Promise provides vaccinations and spay/neuter surgery for feral cats to help control the feral cat population in Central Ohio.